Alpacas and Llamas
Species Camelid. This consists of all new world camelids (alpacas, llamas, vicunas and guanacos) and old world camelids (Bactrian and Dromedary camels). There is a growing population of alpacas and llamas in our area. We offer routine, surgical, reproductive, sick and emergency services with 12 years of experience practicing with these wonderful but challenging creatures.
Dr. Jordan is considered to be one of the top Camelid Veterinarians in the State of North Carolina. Veterinarians from all over this state and S.C. call Dr. Jordan for advice on complicated cases.
- Veterinary herd health
- Nutritional consulting
- Vaccination programs
- Parasite control programs and fecal egg counts
- Toe trimming
- Fighting teeth management (male camelids only)
- Pregnancy ultrasound (Real-time ultrasound as early as 25 days post breeding)
- Treatment and identification of uterine infections
- Diagnosis and therapy for infertility problems
- Difficult deliveries
Neonatal and Cria Care:
- Neonatal/Critical care
- In-house IgG levels via Radial Immunodiffusion Assay
- Plasma transfusions for treatment of Failure of Passive Transfer
Emergency and Surgical Services:
- Sick appointments: fractures, skin infections, eye injuries, lacerations, lameness, trauma, etc.
- Castration (prescrotal-very professional with no open incisions and no external sutures to be removed)
- Cesarean sections
- Dystocias (birthing difficulties)
- Whole blood collection and transfusion for severely weak and debilitated animals due to severe parasitism.
- Intravenous catheter placement and fluid therapy
- Hospitalization for intensive medical therapy and observation.