Sheep and Goats (aka small ruminants)
Species name Ovine (Sheep) and Caprine (Goats). Scientific names Ovis aries and Capra aegagrus hircus. These species, especially the goat, are among our oldest domesticated species. Even though you will often see sheep and goats lumped together in the same category (as on this page), they have quite a lot of differences. We are well versed in those differences and how to handle them. Our clients range from individual pets to large meat herds and even a few dairy herds. We are happy to help with any questions or problems that may arise and we are available for emergencies 24 hrs a day.
- Herd health
- Nutritional consultations (there are differences)
- Vaccination programs
- Parasite control programs and fecal egg counts
- Hoof trimming and dehorning
- Pregnancy ultrasound (Real-time ultrasound as early as 30 days post breeding)
- Synchronization protoccols for goat herds
- Difficult deliveries
Emergency and Surgical Services:
- Sick appointments: fractures skin infections, eye injuries, lacerations, lameness, trauma, etc.
- Castrations (both surgical and non-surgical techniques)
- Cesarian sections
- Surgical/cosmetic dehorning (juveniles and adults)
- Dystocia (birthing difficulties)
- Whole blood collection and transfusion for severely weak and debilitated animals due to severe parasitism.
- Intravenous catheter placement and fluid therapy
- In-house diagnostics and radiology
- Hospitalization for intensive medical therapy and observation.